Commissions

To commission artwork please contact me at Cgartsygirl@hotmail.com
25/hr plus materials

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Restoring a Sacred Heart of Jesus Statue

This is a before and after photo of the work.  I'll include some process pictures too. :)
When I began I wasn't sure what the statue was made of so I lightly sanded off the old paint with a soft sanding block.  When I realized it was metal it was an easier process of using steel wool in the deep folds and a dremel with a wire brush on the rest of the surface.  

When I removed the old paint I wiped away the paint dust and brought it inside to begin priming the statue with white gesso paint.
Next I began blocking in colors.  This step is important because you can't see the true colors next to white paint.  
Then I worked on the face details next.
Then I started to detail the rest of the statue.  I painted the darks in the folds of the fabric and used a sponge with a lighter color to pullout the highlights.  Then I used a pearl on the natural white cloth and a antique gold on the red cloth.  The trim work was done with a bronze paint instead of gold leaf.  And then I put a few coats of exterior varnish on it to protect it from the elements.  


I had a lot of fun working on this project.  I hope I get the opportunity to do more work like this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment